So far this looks to be the best in class.
If you are thinking along similar lines as me…
- The iPad is incompatible with everything I do
- Android? that’s just for phones for now…
- I don’t think I want to rely on Linux either
- Every Win7 Tablet Spec I have seen is under-powered
- They are all missing some key element
- Sometimes I want a real keyboard, but not always
- Can't some experienced manufacturer make something decent?
Look no further:
So show me something in action and something real.
Asus EP121 in action
If these specs are to be believed, this is surely the one I want:
- Intel CULV Core 2 Duo
- 2GB RAM
- 32/64/?128G SSD
- 10 hour Battery Life (nothing else for Win7 has claimed more than 5)
- Detachable Keyboard Included
- Stylus with Digitizer
- Capacitive Touch
- 12” screen @ 1366x768
- 1080p Playback
- WiFi - 802.11 a/b/g/n
- 3G HSDPA, Edge
- Bluetooth 2.1 EDR
- 2MP webcam
- HDMI Out
- Aluminum Case (not cheap plastic)
- USB/SIM Card/microSD
- Windows 7 Home Premium
Now, that is a real Tablet with a form factor and price that is reasonable…
The big Downside? It's not shipping until December or January.
Well, $1000 may be more than you want to spend, but this thing has at least twice the performance of the Atom CPU and also supports virtualization.
By the way, the last full function TabletPC I bought is NOT touchscreen, no 3G, no GPS, weighs in at over 6 pounds and cost me more than $3000, so at $1K to me it’s a bargain for the features.
Additionally, I’ve use Asus products for a really long time and I trust them; I might like these specs coming from Acer who has been in the tablet business, but it’s still a major manufacturer.
I am pretty excited about the next generations of real tablets as you might already notice from all these Blog posts… So why am I posting all this? I think this is a HUGE opportunity for developers.
UIs will be the major success factor for these devices. I plan to start talking at great length about how to effectively use Silverlight on these devices to get your line of business application onto them!